Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Is there anything as sad as a sick baby?

On Sunday, Duke and I simultaneously caught the hacking cough others in the family (all but Ziz) have been enjoying.

It's the weirdest thing to have a deep, settled cough with no other congestion.  It's never happened to me before.

Anyway, poor little duke is so busy coughing and feeling sickly (his nose is runny) he's not even interested in eating.  This is odd as the consumption of any and all food he comes within reach of is generally his main concern.  Not this week.  This week he throws his hands in front of  his face and bats away any spoon that ventures near.

Very sad.

In his happy moments though, he perches on my hip and sings "la la la la la" (his first and favorite repeated consonant syllable)  as long as his voice holds out.

It's one of the great paradoxes of life that things considered enchanting when one is seven months old become quite the opposite well before seven years have been achieved.

In the mean time, while it's still adorable, I mean to enjoy every incessantly repeated "la" and do my best not to let my heart break when his little voice wavers with his infirmity.  That is one of the saddest, sweetest sounds I think I'll ever hear.

 

No comments: