Friday, November 18, 2011

15 lbs

My house smells like chocolate. This because there are fifteen pounds of it sitting on my kitchen counter. Well, really it's ten pounds of semi sweet chips and five pounds of peanut butter chips but I think peanut butter pretty much counts as chocolate when it's in chip form.

 Anyway, the house smells like chocolate. This is both a good, and a bad thing. It's a good thing because hey, chocolate! Chocolate smells good!

 It is a bad thing because I have sworn off sugar for six of seven days a week continuing through the next seven weeks and, well, (sigh) chocolate smells good.

 The chips aren't really a temptation in and of themselves. I  find semi-sweet chips don't suit me for eating out of hand. The temptation comes from knowing that my kitchen holds all that is necessary to elevate those chips from mere air-freshener status to the high and mighty post of  My favorite thing to shovel into my mouth. ie-warm chocolate chip cookies. 

Sure, I could wait for the magical day outside the blighted six but somehow cookie baking just doesn't happen for me on Sundays.(my designated sugar day) I bake rolls on Sundays, I bake cobblers and crisps on Sundays. Sundays are a great day to try out exciting new recipes but my old stand by just never fits with my Sunday jive. It's a mismatch somehow.

That being said, I've got a freebie coming to me in honor of the coming week's holiday. I'm considering the inclusion of chocolate chip cookies into the pantheon of Thanksgiving pies.

No comments: