Friday, April 30, 2010

Dress to skirt

I bought this dress last summer. Not so much because I liked the dress but because I was completely in love with the gingham. I have a thing for gingham. There's no denying it.

The dress was cute enough I guess, but it was rather snug in the boobs and would have fit so seamlessly into my high-school wardrobe that is was a little disconcerting.
So I chopped off the bodice, added a waistband and now I am happy.

I put elastic across the back to keep things simple. And to save me from the pouch enhancement that would have come from putting elastic all the way around

I probably ought to have altered the side seams so they wouldn't pull to the back like that. I knew it would happen but I chose to ignore it and charge ahead anyway.
In the end I am ok with the wonky side seams. They are not ideal but they are worth the time savings. I probably would never have gotten back to this skirt if I hadn't finished it in one sitting and I was sewing with the baby in my lap by the end of the project as it was.
This wonky little skirt is going to see a lot of use, and that's what counts.

5 comments:

mommy Orkid Belle said...

U can't even tell it was a dress before. Very summery! :)

Steph said...

(skipped over from WR.)

I love this! I think it's much better as a skirt.

rachel said...

love the fabric and love the elastic in the back only. what a great idea!

Annie Jarman said...

Cute! I want one.

Veronica Darling... said...

I came from WR too... love gingham in green and think this is a really clever refash! Well done!

xoxo