Monday, August 20, 2007

Laundry

My dear child is my letter L.
My first born, smart, sweet child. She is going through a difficult stage right now but even in the midst of it she is adorable and good.
She often sits next to me as I fold her laundry and exclaims at each item as I fold it. "Mom, you washed my Belle panties, thank you!" "Oh, thank you mom, you washed my pink dress!" She'll be entranced with a particularly serious wonder pets episode and all of a sudden as I pick up a lace- edged sock snap out of the television induced stupor and, in a voice breathless with gratitude, utter her deepest thanks for all of the effort I put into ensuring the cleanliness of that sock. It may not even have a mate, but by damn, it's clean and she is grateful!
I think I may start doing her laundry more often. I'll encourage the wearing of multiple ensembles each day just so I'll have things to fold.
Maybe I should always keep a basket of clean laundry close at hand so when she's wailing, making demands, and generally being unpleasant I can grab and fold a tiny pair of Curious George panties and be reminded of the sweet nature concealed within the bellowing creature before me. That might be the best idea I've had all day.

No comments: